Optimising the booking process for a fictitious airline app
During my UX Design Institute Professional UX Diploma course we needed to solve a problem for a fictive client. The client is a start-up airline called Fly UX. They’re looking to create an online experience that is fast, easy, and intuitive: one that’s based on a deep understanding of their target users.
Role and responsibilities
During the course, my role as UX Designer allowed me to have individual responsibilities during the hands-on projects, which were: competitive reviews, online survey, observing a user test, conducting an interview and user test, affinity diagramming, customer journey mapping, user flows, sketching screens and screen states, prototyping, and wireframing.
I performed competitive reviews for five competitive airline apps. In addition, I conducted an online survey with 24 participants. Furthermore, we observed two usability tests and ended our research phase by conducting an interview and two user tests with one participant.
Once the research was done, I analysed the collected raw data using affinity diagramming. The affinity diagram allowed me to group the data into phases to get a better idea of where these problems occurred, and to prepare my alignment diagram such as a Customer Journey Map.
I started by designing an ideal user flow to get the necessary interactions in place. Then I drew all the screens and screenstates for the booking process on paper. I went through the paper sketches by mimicking the user flows’ interactions with my fingers and taking pictures of them as I went along.
I designed a medium fidelity prototype. This form of fidelity was exactly right for what we wanted to learn if we wanted to test our solution iteratively by users.
Challenges I faced
I was lucky that at that time I was already working as a UX Designer on an exciting project for the federal government at iO. Therefore, due to time constraints, I was not able to carry out a usability test of my solution for this project. I can only assume that my solution solved at least some of the problems I found during the research.
What I learned and what I’d improve
If this was a request from a client in the real world, I would start with a discovery phase, because there are too many unknowns. Before I would do any of the above work, I would try to figure out these unknowns with the client. If the client is not able to fill in all the gaps, I would set up discovery goals and a good problem statement together with them, so that we have a concrete focus and scope for research we can rely on to find out whether or not improving the booking process would be the best solution.